Walking in Memory, Running to Honor

Today I am grateful for sleeping in (my version anyway) and for the early morning light as it changes.

Today my friend Sheila, her husband Dave, her two sisters, and many others will be doing an "Out of the Darkness" Walk for suicide prevention in Hammond, Indiana, near Chicago. They are supporting the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Many other walks are taking place this month for Suicide Prevention Awareness Month.

They are walking in memory of their daughter and niece, Carli, who died by suicide on April 4. Today would have also been the birthday of Sheila's mom Nell.

I believe Carli and her grandma will be present in their own way at the walk, especially in the hearts and minds of their loved ones. Across the miles, I will wear the same button today that those walking in Carli's memory will be wearing:


These are words from Carli's obituary:

"Despite the best efforts of her family, teachers, and professionals, Carli lost her battle with depression and ended her own life."

"While we may never be able to make sense of Carli's tragic death, it is her family's 
deepest desire that those who were touched by Carli's life talk openly about suicide, 
and learn more about this disease."

I appreciate all those walking to honor loved ones and to support organizations that help raise awareness and increase prevention efforts. Thank you all for your strength and courage. 

Tomorrow, I will be wearing the bracelets below on my right wrist and my watch on my left. I wear some or all of these on most days, reminders of what is important and who needs thoughts and prayers. MakeItOK.org is a campaign to reduce the stigma of mental illness. "Thankful" reminds me to live gratefully and see each day, each step as the gift it is. 

The pink bracelet is for those with breast cancer, including two more women I heard news on this week, one who has metastatic breast cancer. The peach bracelet is for my sister Leonice and all with endometrial cancer. She begins five weeks of radiation soon.


I will add my RoadID to my right wrist tomorrow as well. I always run with it. It has health and emergency contact information on it. There is room on the RoadID for some words of inspiration as well. Here is what I have on my current one: 

GRATEFULLY LIVING  O.D.A.T.    

Finding gratitude in the significant and the mundane. Seeking healing through pain and grief. Remembering to pause and pay attention. One day at a time. One hour at a time. And fittingly this weekend-one stride at a time, one mile at a time.

Comments

Post a Comment