Satisfied

Today I am grateful for time with recovery friends and for the gift of a new day.

Today's word is satisfied. It means contented or pleased. Those sound like healthy feelings to attain.
In my active alcoholism and early sobriety, I suffered from perpetual dissatisfaction. I was never enough--whatever the standard I was comparing myself to or expecting of myself. Life was never what I hoped, my reflection in the mirror was far from satisfying, and on and on.

I still have bouts of dissatisfaction, but they don't last. Instead, they serve as an emotional barometer telling me I could use some acceptance, patience, gratitude, a break.

It seems that satisfied has become a word that is expected by many in many ways. Satisfaction guaranteed. Keep the customer satisfied. In our society today, some have moved beyond simply being content or pleased. They have become demanding and feel entitled. They want the satisfaction without the effort. And they are each of us in some ways.

That kind of "feeling satisfied" can be dangerous and become a tricky, slippery slope. What it comes down to for me is the source of satisfaction. If I am looking outside myself for that sense of satisfaction, I become impatient and expect too much. And I can blame others when I am discontented. Such a mindset only serves to keep me discontented, dissatisfied.

When I take responsibility for my part, for my own attitude and actions, and let others do the same, it is easier to find pleasure and contentment. When I am grateful for what I already have, I tend to seek less and enjoy more. That is peace and contentment in my book.

Living gratefully and seeking mindful presence can and do guarantee satisfaction here and now.


Comments