One at a Time

Today I am grateful for the direction this blog gives me to start my day each day. I am grateful for Oliver, our dog, this morning too.

This was today's "Word of the Day" at www.gratefulness.org:

People say, "What is the sense of our small effort?" 
They cannot see that we must lay one brick at a time, 
take one step at a time.
(Dorothy Day)

One day at a time has been a guiding principle for me for many years in my recovery from alcoholism. But the bonus is that it helps in all areas of life. One day at a time, just this day, known as today, is all I need to be present for. It's all I should be present for. Yesterday is done. Tomorrow isn't here. I can't be present in them. It would be futile, a waste of energy. So I might as well focus on today.

As a runner, one step at a time has deep meaning for me. How do I run 26.2 miles? One step at a time. How do I train for a marathon? One step, one day at a time. I love the rhythmic footfalls of a run. I can pound out the stress and worries one step at a time. I can count my blessings one step at a time. I can think of others in need one step at a time. 

As I head into my day today, I am going to focus on one interaction at a time. I have a busy day ahead, but mindfulness can be applied in each moment. Whether I am speaking with someone, listening to someone, alone or part of a group, starting a task or completing a task, one interaction at a time is the way to approach it. I think I stay more productive that way, as I won't be wasting energy "spinning" and I think the interactions will be more meaningful for all involved because attention is being paid. 

The challenge is to keep returning to the moment. It is so easy to get ahead of ourselves. One brick at a time. There is joy in that simple work. 

Comments