March In, March On

Today I am grateful for the bird I heard singing this morning and for some good rest this weekend.

I am also grateful that I got to see my friend Sara and her husband Jason twice in the last two days. Our cancer stories crossed paths in 2008 and today we are both healthy. What a blessing!

It was fitting to usher in March with birdsong as I walked Oliver this morning. February was very busy and full. The light was slowly returning, but now that March is here, there is real hope for warmer days and new life.

I love the changing seasons and always seem to be ready for the next one. I am certainly ready for spring. March will also bring new life to our family as we await the arrival of our first grandchild.

As March comes in I can also see the end of a very busy school year on the horizon. There is still plenty to unfold in this year, but June doesn't look as far away as it did in September. It has been a really good year in many respects and I am ever hopeful for an even better year next year. But it has been exhausting and it has had some stressful aspects, so in that respect it will be a good year to finish out.

March is in and the best we can do is march on. Each day. Each hour. If the discipline of living a life of recovery from alcoholism and the discipline of regular gratitude practice have taught me anything, they have taught me to keep marching foward in the present. To not dwell on the past and its regrets. To not get ahead of myself and live in fear and worry of the future. Simply to march forward and take the next right action.

It works, when I am in a mindful enough state to do it. That takes practice. More on that tomorrow.

Comments