Just a Minute

Today I am grateful for my sisters, all seven of them. I am also grateful for my brothers, all five of them.

My family is big and keeps getting bigger, but it started with my mom and dad and my 12 siblings. We all have our challenges and triumphs. but we also have each other. Even if it is across the miles and we don't see each other often, we have an energy field between us and it is a supportive one.

My sister Danita passed along this link to a Harper's Bazaar article here. It is titled "How to be Happier in Just One Minute."  It's a great article and posed the question: "Could your happiness depend on one simple question?"

That simple question is "Right here, right now, am I focusing on what is right or what is wrong?"  Am I counting blessings or hassles? Simple question. Minor effort and some willingness are all that is required to turn your day around.

I have seen this work many, many times in my own life. It worked this morning when I checked my email and saw the article. I was already in my head about stressful work stuff and this pause helped me rein in the negative and remind myself of my priorities and my blessings.

It really does just take a minute, but feel free to take more time, create a longer gratitude list.

Thanks Danita! And thanks to the wise words of Brother David Steindl-Rast that are corroborated by this article:  "In daily life we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy."

Have a good day, unless you've made other plans.  

Comments