Robots at Work

Today I am grateful for the connections I have with other people in recovery and how they teach me. I am also grateful for the enjoyment of watching the first middle school theater production at the school I work at. Nice work to all those involved!

I want to wish my sister Zita a "Happy Birthday!" today. I am grateful to have you as a sister. We go way back don't we?

Now back to those plant tours at John Deere. We saw several robots in action and several others that didn't happen to be in action at that time but are regularly used. I found them to be both fascinating and a little concerning. A few things struck me about the robots as I watched them and continued to ponder their role over the next couple of days. They are incredible machines. Some big. Some small. They were being used for various jobs including cleaning engine parts and painting chassis.

Some of the advancements in robotics are refining surgeries on humans. They are also providing incredible opportunities for paraplegics and those who have lost limbs. This, in my opinion, is the most promising and meaningful way to use robotics to help humans. Regaining mobility or being able to walk or write on one's own after a serious accident or illness is huge.

Being more precise, consistent, and productive than humans, you can understand why companies would want to use them. One can replace the work that used to be done by several humans. And you don't have to worry about workplace drama with robots. Yet, it is disconcerting to me that humans create robots that work better than we do. Where will this take us in the future?

As far as I know, we humans still have a corner on the ability to feel emotions. When I practice gratitude, when I look for the good in life, when I focus on the daily gifts I am given, those emotions remain more positive and energized.

Comments

  1. I'm so grateful to have you as a sister as well! We do go way back, but we also seem to enjoy the here and now and look forward to the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess since we go way back we've learned a few things along the way :-) One of those things is to enjoy today because it is all we get. Another is to enjoy time together...whether in person or via email and blogs. The future starts tomorrow. Onward!

      Delete

Post a Comment