Catching Myself Composing

Today I am grateful for our living room recliners and sharing time with my husband Darcy there. I am also grateful for the time we spent on our front porch yesterday afternoon-sunshine and 23 degrees was inviting enough for us.

On my gratitude walk yesterday, I started composing the blog post you read yesterday, thinking about what I could write and how I could say it. I was getting ahead of myself and had to bring myself back to the present moment a couple times. The point and purpose of gratitude practice is mindful presence. I have to continually hone this skill. Even in the midst of honing it.

At least if I am going to get off track and wander outside the present moment, it is better to be thinking about gratitude in some capacity rather than the other thoughts that can rob me of any peace and serenity. I used to be good at creating a pretty negative stream of consciousness that reeked of self-pity and self-hatred. I wasn't good at catching myself composing at those times, and the downward spiral continued.

A positve stream of consciousness brimming with potential for the day ahead and fueled by gratefulness is a better composition. Easier to rein that in if I get ahead of myself than to rein in a runaway train loaded with negative perceptions and thoughts.

I am a work in progress. My gratitude practice is a work in progress, Onward!

Comments