Things I Take For Granted: #6 Physical Sobriety

Today I am grateful for this blog to give focus to my gratitude practice. I am also grateful for physical and emotional sobriety.

Physical sobriety is something I tend to take for granted. I haven't had a drink of alcohol in over 25 years. Hangovers and blackouts are distant memories. Cotton mouth and headaches too.

Emotional sobriety is a different story for me. I don't take it as much for granted because it is where my daily recovery work focuses. My disease flares up in the mental and emotional realms these days, not so much the physical.

That doesn't mean I never have physical cravings for alcohol. I do. Not often. But this weekend one hit me. Some of my family members are social drinkers. I was around alcohol. One relative was talking about his home brew, another about an upcoming "brew tour." Others were sampling some of the "fall flavors" of beer. A craving hit and I had that moment of "it would sure be nice to have a drink and join in."  It also brings a little jealousy that I can't enjoy alcohol in moderation like so many others can.

When the craving hit, I took myself outside into the cool evening air. I sat down for a couple minutes and let the craving pass. Cravings always pass. I reminded myself that I never drank normally, that my old escape could have killed me. It still could if I am not vigilant.

So a physical craving from time to time is a good reminder to me that my disease is still present, patiently progressing and waiting. All the more reason to continue my gratitude practice and the many other daily efforts I make to maintain mental and emotional sobriety. Without sobriety in those areas, I would certainly lose my physical sobriety.

A grateful approach to life improves my perspective. A healthier perspective improves my chances of maintaining sobriety. And reminds me that I am not in this alone.


Comments