"Thanks for your patience."

Today I am grateful for some time to myself and a different pace to the day. I am also grateful for my husband Darcy and our marriage.

Something caught my eye yesterday on my way to work. It was a construction sign that said "Thanks for your patience." I honestly don't think I've ever seen that on a construction sign before. It was at one end of the new bridge that spans the Mississippi in our community. The new bridge that took nearly three years to complete. The new bridge that then, within months of fully opening, needed more work because there was flaking concrete. It was an aesthetic fix, not a structural one. But it drug out for several weeks this fall and took longer than anticipated.

It was nice, as one of the regular commuters using that bridge, to be acknowledged with a thanks. It really didn't create too many problems for me and I never missed something really important because I was stuck in traffic. There were days the slow downs and back-ups required some extra time, but in that time I could roll the windows down, turn the music up a little, and pause in my busy day. The more I do it, the more helpful I find pausing to be. The construction created opportunities to pause.

As I pondered "Thanks for your patience," something else also came to my mind. I appreciate the patience that my Higher Power has shown me throughout life. Patience as I kept doing the same things over and over and expecting different results. Patience (and protection) as I slowly came to my senses regarding my drinking problem. Patience as I became a more faith-filled and spiritual person. Thank you God!

No doubt that today will provide more opportunities to pause, to practice patience. And in those pauses, the gratitude flows.

Comments