The Words of Brother David as Touchstone

Today I am grateful for texting friends and singing birds. I am also grateful for sunshine and laughter.

My blog header includes this quote from Brother David Steindl-Rast:

"In daily life we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, 
but gratefulness that makes us happy."

A touchstone is defined as a fundamental or quintessential part or feature. It sure fits the intent of this blog and the intentional action I put toward habitual gratitude practice on this blog and across all areas of my life.

Am I happier since I started regular gratitude practice? Absolutely! A definitive and resounding yes! Am I always happy? No. Do I always have a smile on my face and a spring in my step? Are you kidding me?

But that is not how I define happiness. I define happiness in many ways, but a fundamental way is this: acceptance of present circumstances. It is easier to accept present circumstances, even difficult ones, if I am actually present, mindful. If something tough is happening, and I find myself scared, I will still be less scared if I stay present. If I project my fear to tomorrow's worry, to worst-case-scenario thinking, I start to spin downward and my energy gets zapped.

Likewise, if present circumstances are pleasant and enjoyable, I still lose out if I get ahead of myself. I miss the beauty of the moment and next thing I know, it is gone. Focusing on gratitude naturally grounds me in the present.

The words of Brother David frequently come to my mind. They are an effective touchstone and motivator for me to continue doing the work of gratitude practice. Some days the work is easier. Some days it is harder. It is always good work and time well spent though.

Do you have a touchstone? Are you embracing it or ignoring it today?


Comments