The Power of Visualization, Mantras, and Prayers

Today I am grateful for sweat and sore muscles loosening up. I am also grateful for the prayers and mantras that have been valuable in my life and for the people who helped me find them.

Gilda Radner used many techniques and strategies as she underwent treatment for ovarian cancer. She had help and support that she trusted, so she trusted their ideas. Like visualization. A couple of visualizations that she used were thinking about "stupid cancer cells" as she underwent chemotherapy. She visualized the cancer cells saying "I'm here, I'm here" and the chemo would get them. Her normal cells were smarter. They would get jolted by the chemicals, but be able to pull themselves back together.

She also visualized the area where her cancer was as clean laundry. She had always loved doing the laundry and the transformation from dirty to fresh and clean again. These were effective and powerful visualizations that helped her through difficult times, difficult days, difficult hours.

A skeptic might say they didn't work because she died anyway. Visualization is about getting through each day more relaxed, more focused. I would imagine that helped Gilda Radner and the people close to her on many days. Maybe it even gave her more days than she would have had without the visualization work. The way I see it, that means it worked.

I tend to use more mantras with words than I do visualizations with images. I used them in my cancer treatment days, but I also used them regularly before my cancer diagnosis and continue to use them. They are a significant help in my daily recovery from alcoholism and the trap of self-pity.

An effective mantra I repeated many times over many months in the midst of all things cancer was this one, directed at any cancer cells in my body:

"I have run hundreds and thousands of miles, millions of steps. I can outrun you little SOB's."

As a runner, this one was powerful for me, and it gave me strength, even on days when I couldn't run far or fast.

I also continue to say this prayer, written by my friend Dorothy, every day:

"God, Thy will be done. And if you could see it clear to keep my body free of all cancer cells, I would greatly desire and appreciate that. In loving gratitude I pray for peace each day in dealing with this challenge."

Thank you for that prayer Dorothy. It is still a source of comfort for me.

Gratitude practice is really all three of these: visualizing gifts in front of me, repeating thanks for daily gifts, and giving appreciation to a power source beyond tiny little me.

What visualizations, mantras, and prayers work for you? Be grateful for the healing and strengthening power they bring. Have a good day!

Comments

  1. Yes, we can beat those SOB's!
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can and we are! Running, walking, moving on with life. Let's keep cancer in the rearview mirror. Thanks Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it

    very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. Regards,
    hanuman chalisa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment