Running Into Surgery

Today I am grateful for people who care and reach out. I am also grateful, in advance, for the medical team that will be helping me today before, during, and after my surgery.

Yesterday it was celebration. Today it is a bit of trepidation. Hernia surgery awaits later this morning.I am ready, feeling positive and strong, but there's always some fear for me in such circumstan-ces. First, I want to wake up from the anesthesia. Second, I want to hear that everything was taken care of and went smoothly. Face fear with faith. That's my plan. And prayers are appreciated.

The last time I had surgery was my bilateral mastectomies almost five years ago. With that surgery, I knew months in advance what was coming. This time around, surgery came along in a short time frame. Both time frames have their advantages and disadvantages.

It's like running into surgery compared to walking in. Speaking of running, yesterday morning there were three runners I met/passed as I walked Oliver. Three reminders that I am a runner and that I will need to be wise and patient in my surgery recovery so I can return to running feeling good. I ran four of the last five days. That's not entirely unusual, but I usually throw in some cross-training. I didn't this week because I wanted to get as many runs in as I could before surgery.

It's hard to know for sure how long I won't be able to run, but suffice it to say that it will be longer than I would like. That will be a challenge for me, but I will apply gratitude to help. I will appreciate the healing process, take care of myself, follow directions, and be grateful that I can walk when I can't run.

As I head into surgery, I believe in myself and my body, I believe in the medical team that will be helping me. I believe in gratitude in all circumstances. It gives me a proper perspective.

Comments