Note to Self: My Amazing Body

Today I am grateful for rest and healing and that I was able to go off pain medication last evening. I prefer to not stay on it long, for a variety of reasons.

I literally did write a note to myself titled "Amazing." I wrote it as a pep talk in anticipation of my surgery. I have always been one to put in writing what is on my mind. Then, I can carry it with me and continue to revisit the words. "My amazing body" was the recurring line throughout these few paragraphs. I carried the note with me in the days leading up to surgery and read the words several times a day.

My body truly is amazing. Not because it is slim, trim, and perfectly shaped; rather because it isn't. It's mine and it has served me well for over 48 years. It has carried me through pregnancy and giving birth to Sam, breastfeeding him, 10 full marathons so far, three cancer surgeries, four rounds of chemo. It has basically given me far more good days than tough ones. We have a good relationship today, my body and I. It wasn't always that way, but all of the things listed above helped me accept and respect my body all the more.

The opening paragraph of my pep talk goes like this:
"My body is amazing. It has served me well for over 48 years. I have tried to treat it well-quitting smoking, quitting drinking, regular exercise, eating fruits and vegetables, sun protection, rest."

The closing paragraph wraps up with this:
"My body is amazing and has much unfinished business it wants to work toward. Thank you God for my amazing body."

The paragraphs in between remind me of the strength, resiliency and healing power my body has shown. My body is perfectly flawed, like the rest of me. I believe in my body and I believe in healing and recovering from this latest surgery. The pep talk, in writing, helps me focus positive thoughts and energy on the tasks ahead. (Like marathon #11.)

I believe those positive thoughts and energy make all the difference. Previous experience has proven it. Ongoing gratitude keeps it in the forefront of my mind.

Thank you God. My amazing body is on the road to recovery.

Comments