Of Floods and Fires

Today I am grateful that my family in Colorado is safe. I am also grateful that people have faith and courage and a willingness to help others.

I have been watching news footage of the terrible flooding in Colorado, including this on YouTube.I have visited Colorado many times over the last thirty years, and I have been through the Big Thompson Canyon numerous times. Those trips were usually on sunny days with blue skies, and the Big Thompson River was picturesque and sedate. Nothing like the video footage we are seeing on the news. We were usually on our way to Estes Park or Rocky Mountain National Park, which I consider some of the most beautiful scenery I have been blessed to set eyes on.

Two of my sisters moved out to Colorado in 1981. At one time, four of my sisters lived there. Three still do. Though they didn't take a direct hit from the flooding themselves, it is still impacting them, the communities they live in and many people they know. One of my sisters and I talked last night. Judging by the reports of roads washed away, it will be a long time before they make the trip through Big Thompson again. It saddened her to say it. It saddened me to hear it. My mind's eye recalls the splendor of the view when you get closer to Estes Park and start getting a real view of the mountains. I love the mountains. I appreciate that I have been able to enjoy that view often enough to store it in memory.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those who have lost loved ones, those still waiting to hear that their loved ones are accounted for, those who lost property, possessions, keepsakes, livelihoods. I appreciate the efforts of so many rescue personnel who have saved lives and brought people to safety and to the many volunteers and others who are helping the thousands that have been displaced.

Across the country, on New Jersey's Atlantic Coast, my heart goes out to the communities of Seaside Heights and Seaside Park as they cope with the devastating fire that damaged eight blocks of boardwalk and businesses, with as many as 50 businesses being damaged or destroyed. This less than a year since the area was heavily damaged by Superstorm Sandy. Some of the boardwalk that burned had just been rebuilt. It seems like an especially uncalled for one-two punch for this area and the people who live and work there. New Jersey Governor Chris Christie summed it up for many with these words, as he first surveyed the damage "I feel like I want to throw up."

For people most directly touched by the flooding or this fire, I hope you find strength to move forward. And I hope you find the gratitude that is always possible. The first place I look for it is how I witness people helping other people. Onward!

Comments