Hummingbirds

Today I am grateful for the parents and students I work with. I am also grateful for birds, especially hummingbirds today.

Hummingbirds are very intriguing to me. Sometimes we are treated to sightings on our front porch. They are usually such fleeting moments, but each is a blessing. The other night I was sitting outside on one of our first cooler evenings. A hummingbird showed up to feed on the flowering plant that wasn't more than two feet from me. I marveled at the little creature. Before it flew off again, it came a little bit closer to me, as if to say hello. Okay, I get it. You want your own blog post. Here you go.

Hummingbirds are fascinating.They are the smallest species of bird.They can fly forward, backwards, and sideways, and they can stop in mid-air. Their wings beat 60-200 times a second, creating the humming sound that gave them their name. They can fly as fast as 60 mph. They have a very high metabolism and need to eat almost constantly when they are in flight. It's when they are feeding that we are treated to some of those close encounters.

They are also the subject of one of my favorite Seals and Crofts songs, aptly titled "Hummingbird." Listen to it here. I have always liked the song because of the way it flows and the emotions I feel in it. I did a little research and found out that the song includes scripture quotes from the Baha'i Faith. Upon further research, I learned that the religion was founded in the mid-1800's and today has over 5 million followers, making it one of the fastest growing religions in the world. The key message of it's founder was "unity." We could sure use more of that these days, couldn't we? If you want to read more about the faith, read here

Maybe that's why I have liked the song over the years. It pulls me together personally.

What can I do today to spread gratitude and unity?

Comments