The Dangers of Complacency

I wrote this as I considered my ongoing recovery from alcoholism. The times I have struggled the most in recovery have been brought on by complacency. Recovery is work, but it is also freedom and joy. As in anything, we will hit plateaus and uninspired times. The important thing is to recognize it for what it is and step up or change our routine and practices.

I was considering this all as I took an early morning walk the other day, thinking about the lives lost to alcoholism and addiction every day. In my own recovery community, I had just heard of a couple of people who had recently died, directly or indirectly caused by their addictions. Lives of diminished joy and much suffering. Lives cut short. 

Complacency doesn't take our lives quickly. It tends to do it subtly and slowly. Addiction is wily that way. 

I don't want to die, and I don't want to live half-heartedly. Complacency has had me really stuck and in significant pain in various times throughout my recovery. I didn't pick up a drink, but I picked up old patterns of thinking and behaving.

I am learning to catch it sooner, end complacency before it does more damage. Learning to keep striving and trudging. It takes perseverance, pauses, patience, putting down control and ego, prayer, other people, and a power greater than myself. 

Some days it is nothing but work. On so many other days my steps are lighter, the joys unfolding, the burdens unburdened. Onward!


Comments