From Struggles to Strength

Today I am grateful for the moon and stars in the morning sky, bringing me both a sense of awe and a reminder of humility. I also appreciate my sense of touch on this cold morning. Feeling the below-zero temperatures on the small area of my face that was uncovered, but also noticing the reliable warmth of my decades-old parka. I am also grateful for a visit with my friend Betsy. Good to see you! 

Consider today's "Word for the Day" from A Network for Grateful Living :  

I am thankful for my struggle because without it, I wouldn’t have stumbled upon my strength.
(Alexandra Elle)

Most of us probably ponder this and call to mind some of our own struggles and what each has taught us. As adults, we have the perspective and experience that shows us we can get through many difficulties. In retrospect, such times and challenges are seen as transformative and transcendent. 

Some of my challenges include active alcoholism in my teens and early twenties, cancer and surgeries in my forties and fifties, emotional lack as a child in a large family. Put a layer of overdoing and overthinking on top of each of those, and they have been real doozies at times. And real teachers, forming me into the person I am today. Wiser. More accepting and forgiving. Always learning more about living life openminded and gratefully. 

I am also thinking about this quote and what it means in my profession as a middle school counselor, with the students and parents I work with. Warning: soap box moment coming. Life comes with disappointments, frustrations, losses, obstacles. Please do not try to protect your children from all of them, or remove them from your child's path. They need challenges for their own transformation and transcendence. They need you by their side to support and guide more than they need you out in front bulldozing the way. 

If we want our children to be resilient, they must have times when they struggle with things not going their way, realizing that their actions have consequences, learning to lose gracefully, and so much more.

Stepping down off my soapbox, stepping back into my own life. These feet will still stumble, but they also know their strength. 




Comments