Don’t wish for it. Work for it.

Today I am grateful for safe travels, nice walks, fun games, good food, the joy of little children, shared coffee and conversation, and many more gifts that came my way as we spent time with family over the last few days. 

My husband Darcy and I treated ourselves to a stay in a newer hotel in the area. I treated myself to the workout room for two mornings. I have been running regularly outdoors, so this presented an opportunity for worry-free terrain and also an opportunity to push my pace. Though a little hard to read, the words on one wall in the workout room read: "Don't wish for it. Work for it." 



I ran a varied pace, got my heart rate going and sweat flowing. I listened to music one morning, having forgotten how motivational that can be, though I still prefer to run device-free a vast majority of the time. Running form is also easier to see and feel with mirrors nearby and a controlled environment. 

I appreciated my improved form, the fruits of the labor of a few physical therapy sessions two years ago, and my commitment to targeted exercises ever since. I didn't just wish for improved running form, I worked for it. I will continue to work for it so I can continue to run. It's a real priority for me. 

As 2021 winds down, many reflect on the year just ending and the new one set to begin. Some use this time as opportunity to set goals for fresh starts and/or cessation of unhealthy habits. It does start with a wish for what you hope to change, add, delete, transform. A vision is needed, but then the work part becomes key.

In my life right now, I have several wishes surrounding writing pursuits. The work doesn't scare me, but it does sometimes elude me. I have work to do on how best to approach the writing work I want to do. 

How about you? What wishes in your life need to be converted to daily, or regular, work? This work is not drudgery. It won't be easy at times, but it will help you and I both soar at other times. Let's get to work. 

Comments