With Noticeable Gains

Today I am grateful for the book signing experience I had yesterday, and to Rick and Rose for helping make it possible. I am also grateful for the music of the Bee Gees, and the well-done documentary "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" that we enjoyed watching last evening. 

I love the Bee Gees older music, and couldn't really pick a favorite if I had to. Every song on their 1976 album "Bee Gee Gold" would be on the list. The way these brothers could harmonize made their sound captivating. As a young girl and teen, I was also captivated by the good looks of Barry and the youngest brother Andy. Andy had an amazing start to his own career, but died at age 30 after addiction took a heavy toll.

Addiction takes a heavy toll every day in the lives of many. For some addicts and alcoholics, today will be their last day. Their affliction will silence them. No one, addict or not, is guaranteed tomorrow. But I strive to do the work I need to do daily in the hopes that my last day, when it comes, won't be at the hands of active alcoholism. 

Yesterday, I was at a loss. Today, I awakened with noticeable gains. The gains that come when I pause in gratitude for the gifts of recovery. Gifts that include faith in a reliable Higher Power, connections with others in recovery who share their wisdom and grace, tools that I can and do pick up each day to keep on the right track. Tools like acceptance, patience, pauses, service, getting out of self, a phone call, a text.

For me, one of the most important tools in this toolkit has been my gratitude practice. It's pretty tough to be grateful and feel sorry for myself at the same time. I have a choice. Self-pity leads me down a road that used to lead me to drink. Living gratefully keeps me on the road of recovery, even when the days are rough and the terrain rougher.

Even if that just sounded a little cliche, here's the bottom line: Addiction is serious. Recovery needs to be a serious daily endeavor. With the work come the noticeable gains. 

Comments