Decency and Kindness

Today I am grateful for safe travels, treasured family time, birthday parades, and puppies. 

On our travels, I noticed holiday decorations, lingering political signs, and also these two:

Decency Matters and Just Be Kind.

On the one hand, it is disheartening that we need signs to send this message and help set the tone in contentious times. Sad that we we need visible reminders of what should be typical behavior and human compassion. 

On the other hand, to see the words in writing, in the front yards of two average houses, is also heartening. We are bombarded with all kinds of news, sound bites, messages. We do need reminders. If you are like me, I get busy with my day, or busy in my head, and I sometimes forget the obvious. I lose focus and attention.

When it comes down to it, decency and kindness really begin with our presence in the moment. True presence allows us to listen to one another, look someone in the eyes, and hear the tone of their voice. True presence provides calm and calm is peaceful. Peaceful people tap into their own compassion and more readily share it with others.

Yard signs and true presence. Simple graces to embrace today. 


Comments