Time Flies . . . Even in a Pandemic

Living gratefully today, I appreciate a slow pace to my morning. This is something I don't treat myself to often enough. My goal is slower pace overall, and especially in my head.  

Yesterday morning as I started out on my run, I checked my pedometer to see where I was at. It showed that I was at 1950-some steps already for my day. I thought to myself “hey, it’s closing in on 1965.”  That's the year I was born. Already running, I watched my pedometer quickly go from 1965 to 2020 steps.  

Wow, time flies. I considered the year I graduated, the year I got sober, the year we got married, the year Sam was born, the year I was diagnosed with cancer, this year. I sometimes wonder how I could possibly be 55 years old already?? 

Even this year, with the challenges we have all faced, the time has cruised on by. There are only a couple weeks left in 2020. In ways, March and April seem like a lifetime ago, and in other ways like yesterday. 

I thought about my sister Mary Jo, who died just a couple months before she turned 62, my dad who died at 74, my mom who is closing in on her 90th birthday. Our son Sam is nearly 19, our grandsons Leo and Aaron are 5 and 3 already. Darcy and I met 23 years ago. 

As I list all of these years and milestones, I land on two realizations. 1) Time does indeed march on through tough times and amazing joy. 2) My 55 years have been rich with blessings that have helped me march through my own most difficult times. 

Some would say the sooner 2020 is over the better. I try not to wish my life away, striving instead to stay in today. Even when a day is uncomfortable, it is still preferable to regretting the past or fearing the future. Preferable to wishing for what was or dreaming only of what could be. 

There you have it . . . a few steps to start a morning run and humbling reminders of our fleeting lives. I remind myself to slow down or I will miss the best parts. 


Comments