That Keychain

Today I am grateful for a second consecutive day of taking time to meditate and how that helps me start my day more calm and focused. 

I wrote on Friday about misplacing this house key and keychain briefly in my befuddled morning state: 


It holds special meaning for me because it was a graduation gift from my alma mater, Buena Vista University in Storm Lake, Iowa. I graduated with a Master's in Guidance and Counseling in May of 2000.

My twenty-plus-year career as a school counselor has been a good fit for me, a better one than full-time teaching was. All my years in education have been fulfilling as well as challenging in numerous ways, but as a licensed school counselor, I feel my skills and talents are best put to use. 

This keychain signifies my continued education as well as my profession, but it also has gone thousands of miles with me on runs, walks, and bike rides. I often hold it in my hand or looped around a finger when I run so I don't hear the jingling and feel the weight in my pocket. 

This is a well-traveled keychain in more ways than one, and I am grateful for the durability it has. I am grateful for what it helps unlock in big and small ways. 



Comments