Some things never change ... and that is good.

Living gratefully today, I embrace the holiday traditions that comfort me and try new ones in new times.
One that I am rolling with this year is wearing fun holiday socks every day to work. They make me smile and usually at some point in the work day allow me a couple more smiles.

I talked to my mom over the weekend. She is COVID positive but plugging along pretty well with no noticeable symptoms. She had a minor fall a couple days ago and was unscathed for the most part. Either one of these scenarios could still play out adversely. Time will tell. Plugging along in the meantime.

I pray, I send her good thoughts, I make a heart connection. And I listen when we talk. Pandemic or not, Mom is old and failing. Every time I talk to her there's a little part of me that knows these conversations are numbered. Life is precious, life is fragile. All any of us get is today.

The other day the nugget I gleaned from her was "some things never change . . . and that is good." The sun rises and the sun sets. Seasons change. Smiles generate more smiles. Laughter feels good. And for Mom and I over our lives, walking and writing have been a couple of the healthiest things we have done for ourselves. 

Some things never change and they comfort us. We can rely on them, put our faith and trust in them. 

Mom is limited in her walking now, but still does what she can. She doesn't write much of anything anymore. Her eyesight and arthritic hands won't allow it. Some things do change and acceptance is required if we want to know peace. 

My relationship with my mom and the emotions surrounding that have been complex over the decades. But one thing I am glad has changed is my acceptance of what Mom and I do have. Less emphasis on what we don't and never did have.

Some things do change and they become tremendous blessings. 

Comments