To Our Possible Surprise

Living gratefully today, I give thanks for the technology that brings my six sisters and I together across five states. I appreciate the lasting friendships in my life, including my friends Sara and Liz. They both celebrate birthdays today. Happy Birthday!

This quote is worth a read, then a re-read, and another one: 

A practice of gratitude is not about dismissing sadness, anger, fear, or confusion. Rather, it 
offers us the opportunity to see that we often experience multiple feelings at once; to welcome 
joy into the same places where we hold grief; to turn our attention to what is quietly 
growing and breathing day by day, which, to our possible surprise, includes ourselves.
(Kristin Lin) 
                             
Kristin Lin is an author and an editor with the On Being project. Described on their website as: 

On Being, as it has evolved, takes up the great questions of meaning in 21st-century lives and at the intersection of spiritual inquiry, science, social healing, and the arts. What does it mean to be human, how do we want to live, and who will we be to each other?

It was created in 2003 by Krista Tippett, and is now a successful podcast with over 200 million downloads. It is one of the podcasts on my playlist. 

Back to the quote above. Kristin Lin has really captured the essence of genuine gratitude and what it can bring to the individual who faithfully turns to it as a regular practice and part of life. Living gratefully notices, pays attention. It is not dismissive, rather allows us to embrace what is in front of us. Sometimes that will be deep pain and loss. At other times, growing joy and peace. And at times, all of these in the same moments. 

Quietly growing and breathing. That's a good approach for my inner being and my outer efforts today. 

When I attend, pause, lean into the stillness, growth and transformation show themselves.  And I am often surprised, even delighted, at what I see and feel. 

Thank you Kristin Lin for truly capturing what grateful living is for me. If you are reading this, try some. Be diligent and faithful to the efforts. It won't take long and the surprises will show themselves, big and small. 


Comments