Middle Ground

Living gratefully today, I just appreciated the soothing footfalls of a walk, side by side with Darcy and our dog Oliver. Oliver likes to walk between "Mom and Dad" as we call ourselves.

My day started with some frustration. Just a variation on the usual-I have this, this, and this to do before I head to work. I was frustrated with the post draft I had been working on for today. Instead of pushing through that frustration in the wrong way-I'll get this darn post done and published and go on about my day-I made the decision to abandon that post for now and embrace the walk with my husband and our dog on a beautiful and crisp mid-July morning. 

Did I mention that before I got stuck in my writing, that I had also spent some time meditating? What good did that do if I ended up perplexed shortly after?  Well . . . I think that quiet time was what made it easier for me walk away from my computer and walk onto the trail across the street. 

Pauses, quiet, connecting with Great Spirit, a moment of gratefulness; these each help me back to the middle ground. I can't be hanging out in meditation mode all day, nor do I want to be stuck in frustration mode all day. The middle ground is sane and reasonable and allows joy and productivity to peacefully coexist. 

Time spent on the more intense fringes and outskirts of our emotions and struggles are good guides. Without them, we don't know where the middle ground is. 

A walk with loved ones, fresh air, coffee, and some breakfast all help too. Onward! 

Comments