Rainbows to Begin and End

Living gratefully today, I appreciate updated technology and the ease it brings to daily tasks. I give thanks for, finally, some cooler and less humid air that is more than just a brief tease.

My day yesterday started and finished with the sighting of spectacular rainbows. I started my run after some rain had already come through, but just a few minutes into my run, it started raining again. I kept running, knowing it wasn't likely to last long. 

I got pretty drenched from head to toe, my running shirt stuck to my body. My glasses, even with a hat on, got splattered and had to come off. My shoes started sloshing. Thankfully, my eyesight is good enough to run without my glasses, and my wet shoes wouldn't cause a problem because I wasn't doing a 20-miler. More like a 6 or 7-miler. 

And I felt pretty darn good. I soaked up the rain in more ways than one. A couple of times, as steady raindrops fell, the early morning sun came through the trees, treating me to a delightful picture of rain and sun through a backdrop of trees. I can pull it up in my mind's eye right now. It is calming and invigorating.

I was one with nature and my own running body. I ran the storm out, a few rumbles of thunder and all. I turned off a road onto a stretch of trail by the local middle school. As the space in front of me opened up, a full rainbow came into view. The rainbow and I ran together for a few minutes before it faded away. 

Last evening, my husband Darcy and I enjoyed a little picnic at a local park, with rain again looming. We had a covered shelter just in case, but the rain held off. We decided to drive around and explore a housing area we hadn't before. As we headed north of town, the rain started up again. It wasn't long before another full rainbow appeared. The evening light was stunning as we drove down the large hill back into town, soaking up the splendor of the rainbow in front of us. 

No pictures taken, just the experience absorbed. No analogies or life lessons here, just nature's awe fully appreciated. It's not every day that a rainbow greets you to start and close out the hours within. 


Comments