Consider our National Mottoes and Our Personal Ones

Today I am grateful for my eyes and the range of colors they are able to see, my ears and the range of sounds they are able to hear.

"E pluribus unum" popped into my head this morning. Don't ask me why. It just did. That is how inspiration flows. "E pluribus unum" is part of our national heritage and has been around since the 13 colonies. It is Latin for "out of many, one." One nation out of 13 diverse colonies. 

It was our traditional national motto, though never officially, and is still visible in many places. In 1956, we did get an official motto. Know what that is?  They are both here, along with Thomas Jefferson. 



I am not making any political or religious statements, though I am fully aware that people may make assumptions or pick apart any number of things I am referencing here. I am just a lifelong U.S. citizen who lately has found it harder to say I am proud to be an American. 

This disheartens me. It also motivates me to make a difference in the ways I can. Right actions, rather than inaction, are needed by us all. Inaction implies complacency and ingratitude. Neither of those will get us far. 

How can I take "E pluribus unum" and "In God We Trust" into my day today and into my interactions with others?  How can I apply these principles in my community, even in my own home? 

Speaking of my own home, if someone asked me what my personal motto is, I would have a hard time landing on just one. But here's one that is always true for me: Live gratefully. If I start and end with that, things seem to work out and I somehow manage to stay reasonably happy and sane. 

Have you considered our national mottoes lately?  What is your personal motto? 

Comments