There's Arthur, and There's Oliver

Today I am grateful for my stepson Arthur and for our cockapoo Oliver, what they have shown me over the years, how they have enriched my life. They are such blessings.

They each have a birthday today. Happy 29th to Arthur! Happy 12th to Oliver! They aren't big buds themselves. Arthur and his wife Alyssa are cat people. Oliver came into our lives a year before Arthur headed off to college and his own life. They are a couple of important guys in my life though.

It's a "Throwback Thursday" so a couple of throwback pictures are appropriate. Arthur in his senior year:


At 29, Arthur is first a husband to Alyssa, a father to Aaron, and "cat dad" to Licorice and Triscuit. He is also a fanatic and font of information when it comes to his beloved Green Bay Packers. He is a registered dietitian with a background in community wellness, currently working as wellness director for a large banking system. 

I met him when he was six. A lot has happened and changed in both of our lives since then, so many blessings have piled up. I appreciate the mutual respect we have for one another, and the way we both love words. I prefer to write them. He prefers to speak them.  

And Oliver in his first weeks with us, just a puppy:


Oliver is now considered a "senior" in dog years. We appreciate the healthy life he has had and we hope it continues. This young face is now showing his age, but his beautiful and warm eyes are the same. His energy level has waned some, but he still gives us a good show of it every day. With Darcy, Sam, and I all home most of the time now, he senses a difference and pursues attention in new ways.

He shows up with his "teddy bear" and persists until he gets what he wants. The thing is, he is the one who gives us what we want and need. His unconditional love. His quirky personality that make us laugh and shake our heads, sometimes at the same time. I cherished him in his first months with us, as he literally helped me walk through some tough cancer days.

I cherish him today, and already get emotional, as I watch him and Sam playfully interact. They will miss each other next year. Sam will be off to college, and Oliver will be here to comfort me like he always has. That's sure my hope. 

Stay healthy Arthur and Oliver. Love and birthday wishes to you both!  

Comments