Not Feeling It Today

Today I am grateful for coffee at an ideal temperature and my new Yeti tumbler that keeps it that way.

Too bad life can't be kept at an ideal temperature. Too bad my temperament isn't always ideal. Too bad. Too real. So when I read today's "Word for the Day" at www.gratefulness.org, I scoffed a bit:

When gratitude is the ground on which we stand, we can be satisfied 
with life exactly as it is and relax into the unknown.
(Sage Cohen) 

Not feeling it today. That is okay. This is life. 

Standing on gratitude? For what? Life exactly as it is? Who wants this?  Who asked for it? 

Relax into the unknown? That's a little terrifying at times. There is so much uncertainty. 

And yet, the gratefulness is still here, stabilizing the ground beneath my feet and my aching heart, even in this moment of disdain. Especially in this moment of disdain. 

Even since I started composing this post, I did relax a little. The disdain and scoffing subsided. The inkling of hope and grace showed itself. I feel it now. Just like the ground beneath my feet. In this moment, I have what I need and more. 

Onward, I say. Onward! 


Comments