Not There Yet, But . . .

Today I am grateful for satisfaction in simple jobs like sweeping floors, and for our dog Oliver's fresh look after a grooming appointment yesterday.

I'm jealous. I could sure use a haircut myself. Most of us are in the same boat. Because I don't trust myself, or anyone else in our house, with the delicate job of trimming bangs, I am trying to grow them out. The last time I did that was . . . waiting . . . never!

There was a time I did let my bangs grow out, but I was starting from scratch then. Had my head shaved two weeks after my first chemo treatment. That was late September of 2008. Months later, I had bangs again and a little curl to the hair that was coming in.

I wore a wig to work and some other public outings for several months, and also wore hats and chemo caps some of the time. The wig always came off when I got home. I was so happy to put my wig away and start sporting my new do again by the summer of 2009. Family pictures from my nephew's wedding forever captured the short bangs of this post-chemo cancer patient.

Back to Oliver's cut and being jealous. I made an off-hand comment to my husband Darcy the other day that I could just shave my head again.  Not serious really, but I have thought about it a couple times. I will probably think about it more when it is 85 and humid soon.

I kept my wig "just in case."  Maybe I should pull it out again. Or I could go for this sassy look:


Not there yet, but . . .  trying to keep it all in perspective. I said it then and I will say it now. There are a lot worse things to lose than hair, or your comfort level with unruly bangs.  Onward! 

Comments