Living Gratefully Today . . .

Living gratefully today, I appreciate the recovery connections that are vital to my sanity and serenity. Daily work for a daily disease, alcoholism, also means regular contact with some pretty amazing and courageous people.

I have dozens and dozens of draft ideas for posts, and I came across this one that I had started almost exactly a year ago. I don't know what sparked it at that time, but here in italics are the words from that draft:

Living gratefully today . . . These aren't just words. They aren't fluff. They are deeply meaningful and they have transformed my life. 

I am not glossing over pain and difficulty. I am embracing the opportunity in them. Just as I embrace the opportunity in joy and serenity.

"What we practice grows stronger."

I will find what I am looking for. What do I want to find?

"What we practice grows stronger."  I used to practice self-pity and also push myself relentlessly. "Flaying myself with expectations" is a fitting line from a recent poem. I still fall into these traps.

Practicing gratefulness, on good days and tough days alike, has helped me find myself, the self buried decades ago by my own faulty thinking and unhealthy coping.

As long as I breathe, transformation is possible. As long as I live gratefully, there is good to be found.

We find what we are looking for. What do you want to find today?

Comments