Going Forth in New Ways

Today I am grateful for the needed rain we received over the weekend, and for the lazier day it created for me yesterday.  I also really appreciate the weekly Zoom gathering my sisters and I have.

I rarely use the word lazy to describe a day I have. The word almost makes me cringe a little. Like a lazy day is a bad thing. A lazy day, or some lazy hours at least, can be real gift. I think I need to explore this intention more.

Yesterday was graduation day for many high schools. Some postponed events. Others proceeded with commencement ceremonies like none we have seen before.  I checked in on Facebook and texts, and later watched a YouTube video, to see what was playing out in northeast Iowa at some of the local high schools.

A rainy morning gave way to a drier, though still breezy, afternoon. Our great-nephew pulled up on a tractor to receive his diploma at his school. My alma mater held a ceremony at the football field for the 40 graduates and their parents. Post-graduation gatherings were limited, as were the hugs I'm sure. It was all strange and sad to watch.

And yet, it was still commencement. Those students were wrapping up their high school days and heading into their futures, just like the rest of us did at our high school graduations. They will likely remember their unusual high school graduation more than some of us remember our typical ones. Congratulations and best wishes to all graduates!

The current circumstances have taken many experiences away from graduates, and from all of us. The times we find ourselves in have also presented new opportunities and experiences. To commence is to go forth. Each day, pandemic or not, we have many chances to go forth in new ways.  Go forth gratefully into this day, pausing in a lazy moment, and see what you find.

Comments