Love or Hate?

Today I am grateful for the values my parents taught my siblings and I, and to Martin Luther King, Jr. for his courage, contributions, peaceful efforts, words of wisdom, sacrifices, and so much more.

I grew up in rural Iowa, surrounded by very little diversity in terms of race and religion. Still, my parents imparted the lessons that all life has value, that everyone deserves dignity. We lacked for some of the comforting words it would have been helpful to hear, but we also didn't hear hateful words directed at us or at certain groups or situations. 

Mom and Dad did us a significant service in this way. Our upbringing may not have been worldly, but we learned some universal lessons. My siblings and I have wide and varied views on many things, and some topics are better left off the table at family gatherings. Yet, somehow we walked out of our childhoods with fairly open minds and less judgment when it comes to differences among our fellow humans. 

Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee on April 4,1968 by James Earl Ray. Born on January 15, 1929, King was just 39 years old when he was killed. He left a tremendous legacy with his efforts in the civil rights movement at a pivotal time in our nation's history. The lasting significance of his work for justice is irrefutable. 

He was also just a man with his own faults and failings, like the rest of us. That is why I chose this quote below from the many I looked at. It is applicable to all areas of life. It starts with us as individuals, and then defines what we bring to the collective efforts to which we contribute. 


Image result for images for quotes by MLK, Jr

Love or hate? Which one will more define my actions and thoughts today?  

Thank you Mom and Dad. Thank you MLK, Jr.  Our world is better for what you have taught us all. 

Comments