Stretch It Out

Today I am grateful for the freshness of a new snowfall and how it changes the light indoors and out.
I am also grateful for the comedic and other contributions from Betty White over the last 80 years.

Wishing a Happy Birthday today to my sister Ann! Have a special day!

I have been doing some physical therapy for my left hip and many good things have already come from the process that started with an X-Ray and MRI, appointments with a doctor, and now several PT appointments with two different physical therapists.

What we know now is that I have some arthritis in my left hip and a tight IT band on my left leg as well. I also have learned that I am a quad-dependent runner and have been under-utilizing and under-engaging my hamstrings and glutes.

None of this is surprising, but it sure is insightful. And helpful. It's another way I got stuck and complacent in recent years and it caught up to me. Now, I have a regimen of several exercises to strengthen what needs strengthening, make more flexible that which is tight, and get my runner's body back in better shape to allow me to keep running more efficiently and comfortably.

I already feel much better about it all and am motivated to apply the necessary discipline to keep improving and then maintain. After a difficult 17th marathon in September, and then the development of hip pain in November, I sought out a doctor. I am proud of myself (and thankful for my husband Darcy for his encouragement) for doing that self-care and not waiting any longer.

So I am making incremental progress in stretching out body parts that have been unintentionally neglected. I am bringing flexibility to my body in ways that allow me to stretch through the aging process and continue the pursuits that matter most in my life.

There is such a mind-body connection in each of us and I am stretching to reunite threads that had been disconnected. I'm a work in progress, but I do the work.

Stretching it out physically is just the beginning. There is much more to stretch in the mental, emotional, and spiritual realms of our lives. Living gratefully is a good place to start. It brings flexibility to all areas.

Have a good day, moment by flexible moment. Stretch the opportunities of the day to a comfortable place.

Comments