Transplants

Living gratefully today, I appreciate the calming practice of morning meditation and my renewed commitment to it. I am also grateful for our dog Oliver as he sits and watches me now.

The picture of the beautiful blooming irises below are the result of a transplant. They are from my mother-in-law Marlene's previous home--a home that is now gone, moved out of the way for a road construction project. Darcy transplanted these irises in our backyard.

It took a couple of years for them to reach this full glory, but we sure have enjoyed them in recent days. So much in nature and in our own lives requires patience and time. Many things are not meant to be rushed, yet our society and culture are increasing speed in unhealthy ways.

So I think about these transplanted irises, and I think about Darcy and I transplanting to Minnesota 19 years ago and the many wonderful gifts that have come to our family and our lives since. There have been plenty of challenges too, but we have love of family, home, and our community to keep us grounded.

Darcy plants and transplants numerous plants each year. Those meant to survive the long term often need transplanting as they outgrow one pot for another. They may need pruning too. Humans are the same.

So much in life takes patience. Growing. Learning. Seeking. Grieving. Healing. Transforming. Forgiving.

For now, I can take a moment to again cherish the beauty of life in full bloom:

Comments