Memories: Mowing Lawn

Today I am grateful for cool morning air and quiet.  I am also grateful for the disciplines in my life that help set me free.

Last evening I shared in the lawn mowing duties with my son Sam. I have always enjoyed mowing lawn, but have done less of it the last few years as Sam has been our primary mower. As I mowed yesterday, I reminisced about mowing our large yard growing up on the farm.

We always had push mowers and several pushers to share the work. We divided up our yard surrounding the house and in back of the house into several "plots" and we each took one or two. I am sure there were arguments over who got to mow what areas, some being easier and obstacle-free compared to others, but I don't recall too much fighting. I think my siblings and I in general liked this chore and the progress we could make in short time.

In my mind's eye, I can picture a young Lisa pushing one of those mowers on the side of the house near the chicken coop and the basketball hoop, next to the barnyard. Summer days and the smell of fresh-mowed grass. A pleasant memory.

Comments