Joy Unfolds and Buffers

Today I am grateful that my two drinks of choice are water and coffee, in that order. I am also grateful for the brief visit by a hummingbird that my husband Darcy and I just enjoyed.

The potential to experience joy is always available to me, to you. Even at the toughest times. It simply requires an open heart and mind, a pause. I say simply, but we both know it isn't always easy to do.

I was visiting with some fellow recovering folks and one of them brought up the several joys she had noticed just that morning. Pauses and surrendering had opened the door to these gifts.

Shortly after, I was walking in our beautiful river town, down along the Mississippi. The weather was shifting, which was fine with me. It had been hot and humid for a couple days and now the breeze was up and clouds and rain were moving through.

I stood and watched a barge go by. I noticed the rolling waves of the river. I was buffeted by the increasing winds, but also buffered by the pure joy of that cool breeze and the welcome shift in the barometric pressure.

Joy unfolds and buffers, as long as I pause and pay attention. I will strive for some pauses in full attention today. Will you?

Comments