Relatively Speaking

Today I am grateful for books that are worth rereading and for warmer temperatures returning.

And by warmer I mean that it is supposed to get above zero today. After nearly 30 below with 50+ below wind chills, it already felt "warmer" yesterday afternoon when I walked in calm, single digit subzero temps. This morning, as I swept away a little nuisance snow after walking our dog, I realized I had overdressed.

It's all relative.

The same holds true for much in life. I can be surrounded by a multitude of blessings, by plentitude, and still feel I am living in scarcity. It depends on my mindset and where my focus is. Is there more I want out of life?  Sure. Is there much I am already feeling deep appreciation for and likewise caring for?  Absolutely!

We can train our brains to look for what we want it to find. We each have a natural propensity for optimism or pessimism, but we can still work to shift it from often feeling in need to often feeling content.

I believe I was one born with the propensity for pessimism, for focusing on how and what I lacked.
The gratitude practice I started 24 years ago this month, and the living gratefully that comes more naturally today, have made all the difference.

I am more connected with the Great Spirit who guides and humbles me. I am more connected with my own heart, soul, and mind, and the wider world. Thank you to all who have helped and continue to help me build a better perception of self and surrounding world.

I will be taking a blog break over the weekend. Enjoy today, hour by hour.

Comments