ACT, A.C.T, and ACTion

Today I am grateful for an entertaining dinner theater production last evening through our local theater company, and for the nice conversation Darcy and I shared with the others at our table.

It was Black Dirt Theater's production of "Savannah Sipping Society." The four women in it were wonderful and the laughs plentiful! Thank you!

Our son Sam took the ACT test yesterday for the first time. He was well-prepared, in my opinion, by the advanced and rigorous curriculum he has had. He felt pretty good about how things went and isn't one to get overly worked up about it. I so appreciate that about him. My hope is that his score is sufficient for the schools and scholarships he is looking at. This ACT originally was an acronym for American College Testing and is one of the common college entrance exams students take in the U.S.

Another A.C.T. that comes to my mind is this acronym that stands for Acknowledge. Care. Tell. This is the short version of the suicide prevention curriculum that my school uses. I am proud to say we have been using it at various grade levels for fifteen years. It is effective and reputable and available through SOS Programs: Screening for Mental Health.

However, the ACT most on my mind on a daily basis is ACTion. What actions can I take to be a contributing member of my family, workplace, and many types of communities I am part of?  I can do the laundry, recycle as many items as I can, share a smile with a cashier, pick up after our dog, send a supportive text to a person new in recovery, volunteer to follow-up on a situation at work, and much more.

It all starts with the actions I take to live gratefully. This morning that has included writing in my  journal, thanking a friend, composing this post, and pausing to appreciate the beauty of some fresh snowfall, yet again.

My thinking and choices are more productive and helpful when I start with healthy, positive, contributory actions. Onward!

Comments