Dolly's Wisdom . . .

Living gratefully in this moment, I am taking in the music my ears can hear and also the kind only my heart can hear.

Speaking of music, Dolly Parton was honored last evening at the Grammys as the "MusiCares Person of the Year" for her charity work with her literacy program Imagination Library. I saw a brief clip of her on CBS Sunday Morning yesterday, and in that short clip I gleaned these two nuggets:

"I count my blessings more than I count my money." She's got way more money to count than I do, but we are both rich in blessings. The only person I need to convince of my blessings is me. It's not a contest.

And her humble humor regarding one of the 3,000 songs that she has composed- "I Will Always Love You." Many remember the chart-topping version of the song in 1992, by the late Whitney Houston. Parton is the songwriter and composer who first released it in 1974, when it also topped the country charts. Asked if it bothered her that many think of the song as Houston's when they hear it, Parton replied something to the effect of "She can get the credit if I get my cash." 

Do you want more notoriety and ego-feeding, or do you want to do what you love and make a difference to those around you?

Her and husband Carl Dean have been married almost as long as I been living, and she is from a large family too, with 11 siblings. I have never met her or seen her perform in person, but she seems like a genuine individual in several ways I can appreciate. Not to mention her music. I always enjoy hearing songs like "Jolene" and "Here You Come Again" and her duet with Kenny Rogers, "Islands in the Stream" and more.

Congratulations and thank you for your many contributions in many ways Dolly Parton. And for the reminder to count my blessings today.

Comments