Draw Forth the Good

Today I am grateful for public services like police and fire protection, garbage and snow removal. I am also grateful for eggs and the many ways to enjoy them as sustenance.

In my job setting, working with middle school students, I will say things like "there aren't bad kids, just kids who sometimes make poor choices." It is really at the heart of my counseling philosophy. People are generally good and when obstacles get in the way of that, how can we help break through those obstacles?

It is my life philosophy too. Find the good and build on it. Create good energy and share it. Does this sound oversimplified? Explain that to me then.  Believe me, day in and day out, I'm not saying it is an easy endeavor, but it is possible.

So this quote struck a chord with me:

"Whoever believes in the good in people, draws forth the good in people." 
(Jean Paul) 

Draw forth the good in others, in ourselves, in the world around us. I sometimes find it hardest to draw forth the good in myself. I let my defects and imperfections get magnified and become obstacles. Then, I miss the good in others and the world around me because I am trapped in my own myopic view.

Living gratefully, practicing gratefulness the best I am able to each day, draws forth the good and helps me draw out the ongoing hope and forgiveness within me. We find what we are looking for. When I look for trouble, I don't have to go far. When I look for good, it is easily accessible too.

Each day brings choices and choices are impacted by beliefs. I believe in the good I see in people, nature, the Great Spirit who guides me. Today, I believe in the good in me. Living gratefully confirms these beliefs.




Comments