Penguin Steps and Life's Ironies

Living gratefully today, I paused to relish in the simple calming effect of breathing in and breathing out. I also appreciate the fellow recovering people I am connected with and how they help me live in 24-hour segments.

We have had a roller coaster of weather in recent days, and it has left behind ice on some roads, sidewalks, and trails, along with a little coating of snow. That makes for treacherous walking and  driving in certain areas. There is also more snow and "wintry mix" potential for our neck of the woods this week.

It's a good time to remember the suggestion to take "penguin steps."  Keep your center of gravity over your front leg and take small steps. Here's a nice graphic from the "Today" show to illustrate this:

How to Walk On Ice

It is sound advice in these conditions, and I certainly try to use it. I don't want a fall that could be jarring and bruising or cause an injury that would keep me from running or worse. It serves as a reminder that nature deserves our respect and though we are physically built for stability, conditions aren't always stable.

And it also reminds me to slow down and take little steps, literally and figuratively, throughout my day.  I am an energetic and hard-working soul, often on the move. This is good in many ways, but sometimes can be to my detriment if I forget to take a break. 

With no breaks, I just end up spun up and exhausted. A short respite, or simply a slower pace for a few moments, can do the trick and return me to what I hope is a more sane pace in movement and in thought. 

Life's ironies? Here's one. I stepped away from the draft of this post just now and stepped outside with our dog Oliver. What do you think happened as I made my way down our slightly sloped driveway? Yep, I fell. Just like that. It was jarring. There will be bruises. Thankfully, I seem to be okay and there's no serious pain. I am very fortunate. 

And I am directly reminded to follow my own advice. Penguin steps on ice and when you aren't sure what is underneath the snow beneath your feet. Penguin steps of the figurative kind when walking into new situations or strong emotions.

Have a good day, and please watch your step! 





Comments