Just 30 Seconds

Today I am grateful for conversation with my son Sam and for earlier morning light and longer evening light.

I know it is midweek, but I had plenty of writing fodder created over the weekend. I am still pulling post ideas out. One of my typical weekend tasks is grocery shopping. I don't mind it really, and we have our usual store with our typical weekly items that I know just where to find.

If I feel rushed at the store, it is only if I have something else next and am on a timeframe, or if the store is crowded and I am slowed by other cart traffic.

Usually, I move pretty efficiently through the aisles. I had an extra spring in my step after my latest trip to the store though. Part of it was the Sunday morning quiet that made my shopping go smoothly. Part of it was the brief exchange I had when I was loading my car with my bags.

An older man pulled into a parking spot near mine. As he got out and started walking, he commented on how he liked the color of my car. (It's a darker royal blue and I really like it too.) I said thanks, and then he asked what the 26.2 sticker on the bumper meant. I told him that's the distance for a marathon, to which he asked "Do you run marathons?"  "I do."

He mentioned something about wishing he could, but he had too many heart issues. He bid me a good day and went on his way. But that brief exchange, probably no more than 30 seconds, had a lasting impact on my day.

I am neither colorblind, nor blind. I can see the rich colors all around me. I can walk and run. And run marathons. I am deeply blessed. A 30-second exchange with a friendly fellow in the grocery store parking lot gave me perspective. It contributed to the gratitude flow I try to also add to each day.

Just a few seconds can contribute plenty, individually and collectively. What can I do to add to the flow today? What can you do?

Comments