Kneel Down

Today I am grateful for connections with others in recovery that help me keep doing the daily work I need to do. I am also grateful for the team of teachers I get to work closely with at school.

This quote about kneeling down caught my attention because it is something I try to do daily:

"A desire to kneel down sometimes pulses through my body, or rather it is as if my body has been meant and made for the act of kneeling. Sometimes, in moments of  deep gratitude, kneeling down becomes an overwhelming urge, head deeply bowed, hands before my face."
(Etty Hillesum)

I can't really say the urge to kneel down pulls at me this strongly, at least not most days. But I have learned the value of kneeling down to pray, to give thanks, to take a quiet moment. I find it humbling and comforting. It reminds me I am neither alone, nor in charge of the world. 

Here is a post titled "Practice" that I wrote in March of 2015 that also talks about the humbling and helping practice of kneeling down. 

Etty Hillesum died at Auschwitz in 1943, at age 29. It seems that she had a full, sometimes tumultuous, life well before being sent to a concentration camp and put to death. Her days were cut short, yet the days she had were lived fully.

That's a question to ask ourselves:  Have I lived this day fully? And by fully I mean fully present.
Not fully busy. There'a s big difference. 

Comments

  1. Excellent questions at the end. Have I lived this day fully (not fully busy but fully present). Good stuff sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I succumbed to fully busy some of the day, but felt fully present for a good share as well. That's a good day☮️

      Delete

Post a Comment