The Footfalls of Gratitude and Fortitude

Today I am grateful for my abilities to read and write and for those who first taught me to do both.

As I consider heading to the starting line of the Twin Cities Marathon on Sunday, it helps to have the experience of 14 previous marathons behind me. It also helps to consider what can be done stride by stride, mile by mile. There have been tough stretches on training runs and in some of our previous marathons, but I have never been let down by the simple power of one step in front of the other, one footfall followed by another.

Even if there may be pain or exhaustion or difficult emotions involved. Fortitude moves me forward.

It is a life lesson well applied to all other areas of my life, day after day. (Though I also could work on stopping to rest more too.)

One of my favorite websites for encouragement to live gratefully is gratefulness.org. In early 2013, they held a contest as follow-up to the release of Brother David Steindl-Rast's latest book 99 Blessings. Read about the book here.

I entered the contest and was honored to be acknowledged on their website. The blessing I wrote then is worth revisiting today:

Source of all blessings, you bless us with footfalls . . .

From the steady rhythm of a marathon runner to the wobbly first steps of a toddler, from a stroll in the park to determined strides down a hospital hall, and everything in between. Whether on new grass, fresh snow, hard asphalt, or rough trail, the soil beneath our footfalls is solid and full of life. May we feel grounded by these footfalls, connected to our earthly home, appreciative of the growth and understanding that come one step at a time.  (Lisa Valentine)

Being a runner has done everything from helping me sweat out a hangover to giving me hope amid a cancer diagnosis. Steady footfalls have led to poem and post ideas, and to a clearer head after a busy day. Each footfall is worth it, and deserving of the gratitude I extend to it now.

Comments