Practice

Today I am grateful for the wisdom and grace of my recovery friends. I am also grateful for a simple salad recipe.

Yesterday I mentioned working to maintain a mindful state so that it is possible to simply do the next right thing, to simply march on, rather than step back into a past that is done or run too fast forward and miss the joys of today as I get caught up in fear and worry. It is all about where I put my energy.

This mindfulness takes practice. For me, the practices I incorporate into my day stem from what I have learned in the daily work I do in my ongoing recovery from alcoholism and the gratitude practice that grew out of this recovery work.

Humility is key in my recovery. Most addicts and alcoholics have an ego (and a disease) that tells them they can handle things on their own, even in the midst of ample evidence to the contrary. Some die an early death believing this. Some get the chance to learn about ego deflation and seeking help from others.

I learned about ego deflation from my friend Jan many years ago when I was going through a painful time in my life. A romantic relationship I didn't want to end had ended. I was hanging on to too much, I was trying to make things happen regarding other people and their actions. That is nothing but an exercise in futility.

Jan suggested I get on my knees and pray, as a way to humble myself and be more willing to accept help from a higher source and from other people. Being raised Catholic and spending plenty of time kneeling in prayer at church growing up, I balked at the idea. I believe a person can pray anywhere and any way they want to. I still believe that.

But I was in enough pain that I tried what Jan suggested. It was indeed humbling. It did indeed help me keep a more open mind as I healed from the hurt in my life. I continue to pray on my knees most mornings. It starts me in a better place for the day ahead. Thanks for the suggestion Jan. It was a good one.

Is prayer one of your practices?

Comments