Spreading Manure

Today I am grateful for each chance I have to hold our grandson Leo. I am also grateful for the life lessons I have learned over the years and decades.

Part of the farm life I spoke of yesterday is the job of cleaning out feedlots. Spring is a good time for that task. My brother was doing just that on our recent visit. Loading up manure in the manure spreader and then putting it on some of the fields as fertilizer. Load after load.

In fact, on my last trip through an A-Z gratitude list, manure was one of my "m" words. Here is that post from earlier this year. But since manure is created every day, I guess I can add a few more thoughts about it.

There are plenty of analogies and metaphors about life when discussing manure. If manure is never cleared out, it becomes a rotting, heaping pile of major stink. It works better to reduce the pile and spread it out so air can get to it. Spread it out and let nature take its course and turn it to nutrients for the soil.

That is what I must do with my fears, worries, bouts of self-pity. Reduce the pile. Spread it out so air and faith can get in and heal. Help convert the troubles into some grace and gratitude.

Another good piece of advice when in the vicinity of manure is to watch your step. If you aren't paying attention, you may end up with a smelly addition to your wardrobe. If you are wearing boots, no problem. If you aren't, well . . . you may have a nose-holding mess.

Where do I need to watch my step today? Where should I tread gently? Where can I step confidently?

Comments