Walk and Talk

Today I am grateful for a break from work. I am also grateful for the chance to spend some time with my friend Liz.

Like Jenny who I mentioned in my previous two posts, Liz is someone I worked with and who I hadn't seen in a while. Liz and I worked closely together advising a student peer empowerment group at our school for years and when she taught middle school students that I also served as counselor. Liz took a leave this year and has since decided to retire. I already missed her this year and got used to not having her around at school to vent to and to bounce ideas or concerns off of.

But now that it is official, I will truly miss her presence and her genuine value as a teacher and a co-worker in our school. She is both an excellent teacher and a wonderful, caring, practical person. So it was especially nice to spend some time with her yesterday. We went for a nice walk, had a delicious breakfast, and passed the time in healthy conversation. Liz is someone I trust and respect, both professionally and personally. We also run out of time before we run out of things to talk about. We both enjoy our exercise, so a "walk and talk" was a perfect plan for us.

"Walk and Talk" was also the name of an activity that we did with the student group we worked with. More accurately, the trainers doing the peer empowerment training led the activity. Students paired up and literally went for a walk and a chance to share conversation just between the two of them. It's a good listening activity, and a good way to help build connections in a group of students who will be working together.

My husband Darcy and I regularly go for walks and talks too. We might talk about work issues or family concerns. We might talk about upcoming events we need to plan for. We might just enjoy our dog Oliver and the current weather. It is always time well-spent.

Consider a walk and talk with someone today. Maybe just you and your Higher Power.

Comments