What is in your way?

Today I am grateful for cereal and warm milk. I am also grateful for sweat and running speedwork.

I have a feeling this isn't the last time I will be blogging about the words of Mark Nepo, but it does wrap up this round. This short quote stopped me short:

"We tend to make the thing in the way the way."

It stopped me short with a strong dose of gratitude. I think I have made good progress in removing the things in the way of the way I really want to live life. Self-hatred and self-pity were definitely in my way when I was drinking. Drinking was in the way and clouded the rest of the road I was on. I have also been in my own way plenty over the years. Perfectionism and low self-esteem slow down a person's momentum and shatter hopes and dreams.

I still get in my own way, but I tend to move out more quickly. Life will always send some curve balls, but acceptance, patience, and living a day at a time all help keep the focus where it is most productive for me-doing the next right thing in the present circumstances.

As I think about the pace of our society and how much our culture is driven by materialism, instant communication, instant gratification, overscheduling, and our love of more, faster, better, I am saddened. Many people have let this way of life get in the way of true happiness. They don't even pause long enough to consider how they might be feeling. Why? Because everyone else is doing it? Because we have confused what human progress means? Technology is advancing at breakneck speed, but I fear that true human progress in terms of compassion and striving for peace and tolerance for all is totally off the radar when it really should be the bullseye we are aiming for.

I will try to do my part by being compassionate and kind, both of which start from a place of gratitude.

I appreciate that gratitude practice has been an effective compass in my life, helping me find my way to contented living more often.

Comments