Keep Swimming

Today I am grateful for another birthday. I am also grateful for my overall health-physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual-and how much gratitude practice has helped get me and keep me healthy.

Today is my 49th birthday. My first two birthday blog posts on Habitual Gratitude are titled "Better Older Than Deader" and "More Birthdays Please!" Read both here.  They continue to be fitting sentiments for me. I am very grateful to be here today, able-bodied and alive, living life fully.

Let me add "Keep Swimming" to the list of birthday sentiments. Keep swimming. Keep living life every day. Keep doing the next right thing. Keep being grateful. Keep appreciating every thing I am able to do and experience.

Keep swimming beats sinking, and one can only tread water for so long. When it comes to actual swimming, I am not a strong swimmer. I would be sunk in a hurry. I was almost sunk by my active alcoholism too. I was definitely drowning. To keep swimming, in the figurative sense, is an option I am grateful to have.

I don't swim alone though. I have a Higher Power I rely on and family and friends who are lifelines.

Hour to hour, day to day, it has added up to 49 years of a life I am honored to be living. Just for today, I will keep swimming.

Comments